Briley Township was one of the three original townships in Montmorency County, but is now one of eight. It is a General Law Township with a land area of 68.4 square miles. Its population according to the 2000 census is 2,029 persons, an increase of 11% from 1990 when the census recorded 1,831.
The town of Atlanta was incorporated as a village for a short time in the 1800’s, but has since reverted to township government. Atlanta was named the county seat by an election vote in 1893, and by an act of the Legislature in 1986 received its official designation as the “Elk Capital of Michigan.”